Treatment of Foot and Ankle Sports Injuries
Injuries during sports are common. They can result from accidents, inadequate training, improper use of protective devices, or insufficient stretching or warm-up exercises. Injuries to the foot and ankle are common while playing sports such as football, hockey, skating and in weekend athletes. Common sports injuries include sprains and strains, ankle fractures, and Achilles tendinitis.
The most common treatments recommended for an injury to the foot and ankle include:
- Rest, ice, compression and elevation (RICE)
- NSAIDs and pain relieving medications
- Braces, casts or splints to immobilize the injured part of the foot/ankle and promote healing
- Physical therapy
Some of the measures that are followed to prevent sports related injuries include:
- Follow an exercise program appropriate to your ability.
- Gradually increase your exercise level.
- Ensure that you wear properly-fitted protective gear including comfortable, well-fitting athletic shoes.
- Make sure that you perform warm up and cool down exercises before and after a sports activity.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Avoid playing when you are injured or tired.
- Ensure that you are physically fit to play the sport.